Terms & Conditions
The sponsor is The Daring Media, South Orange, NJ, 07079, USA ("Sponsor").THEME
Written reflections based on prompts that cover your creative process, intention, and the types of stories you tell through visual media. We are particularly interested in reflections from visual storytellers creating content that reflects their own communities.TERM"Spotlight: Open Call for Women and Non-binary Visual Storytellers"
is a resource provided by Visura.co, where The Daring
hosts a unique merit-based opportunity exclusively for Visura’s Annual Members with an active Standard, PLUS, PRIME, or GUILD
annual membership (the “Contest”). The Daring will select winners based on the evaluation of the entries against objective judging criteria. The Daring is not obligated to choose a winner.
The Contest begins October 1, 2020,
at 8:00:00 a.m. US Eastern Daylight Time (“EDT”) and ends on September 30, 2022,
at 11:59:00 p.m. EDT. Information on how to enter and prizes form part of these official rules ("Official Rules"). By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees to the Official Rules and warrants that his or her entry complies with all requirements set out in the Official Rules. This is a merit-based opportunity and chance plays no part in the determination of winners. Odds of winning depend on the number of entries received and the skill of the entrant.WHO MAY ENTER
The Contest is open only to visual storytellers who are Visura Annual Members with a Standard, PLUS, PRIME, or GUILD
annual membership, who identify as women and non-binary, who have reached the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of entry, and who do NOT reside wherein prohibited by the US Federal Government (Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria). Employees of FotoVisura Inc, The Daring, and their subsidiaries and affiliates, and their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they live) or persons living in the same households of such employees, whether or not related are not eligible. CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.HOW TO ENTER
Each entry consists of a first-person written reflection based on prompts, 3 work samples containing photographs and/or videos, a professional bio written in the third person, and a portrait.
The entry is free of cost to all Visura members with an active Standard, PLUS, PRIME, or GUILD annual membership. Non-members are unable to submit. To enter, 1) sign into entrant’s Visura account, 2) visit the Open Calls page, 3) select The Daring Q&A for Women and Non-binary Visual Storytellers Open Call, 4) select the Submit My Project button, 5) select the appropriate project and 6) confirm entrant’s submission. Each submission will include access to the entrant’s Visura profile with the required information, including the entrant’s name, current location, nationality, bio, CV, contact information, email address, and captions for the entry.
Please know that any changes made to an entrant’s entry after submitting will be reflected in the entrant’s submission for judges to see; entries may be disqualified if changes are made after the deadline.ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Each entry must meet the following requirements:
• One entry per person.
• Each entry must include a written reflection between 800-1200 words, written by the entrant in the first person that answers prompts covering their creative process, intention, and the types of stories they are telling through visual media.
• Each entry will include 3 work samples consisting of photographs or videos.
• All entries must be submitted and received by September 30, 2022, at 11:59:00 p.m. EDT.
• Photographs and video must be in digital format. The media need not be taken with a digital camera; scans of negatives, transparencies, or photographic prints are acceptable. All digital files must be under 20 megabytes, must be in JPEG or JPG format, and must be at least 1600 pixels wide (if a horizontal image) or 1600 pixels tall (if a vertical image).
• The media must have been created within 24 months of entry.
• Photographs and videos that include sculptures, statues, paintings, and other works of art will be accepted as long as they do not constitute copyright infringement or fraud; provided entrants must be prepared to provide a release form as described below in "Release”.
• When photographing the work of others, it must be as an object in its environment and not a full-frame close-up of another person's art.
• Each photograph and video, in its entirety, must be original material taken by the Contest entrant. By entering the Contest, the entrant represents, acknowledges, and warrants that the submitted photographs and videos and project is an original work created solely by the entrant, that the photographs and videos do not infringe on the copyrights, trademarks, moral rights, rights of privacy/publicity or intellectual property rights of any person or entity, and that no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the photograph and video.
• Each photograph and video must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of the Sponsor, contain objectionable or inappropriate content.
• Each photograph and video must be accompanied by individual captions that are complete and accurate, describing the date, place, and content.
• Watermarks are unacceptable. Unless the Sponsor receives non-watermarked versions of the photographs and videos within ten (10) days following its request, the entry will be disqualified.Proof of submission is not proof of receipt.JUDGING
The entries will be judged in accordance with the following Judging Criteria. Judging consists of two (2) rounds of evaluation. In round one, The Daring’s Editorial Team (“Judges”) will select at least twenty (20) entries from among all eligible entries based on the following criteria ("Judging Criteria"): (1) quality of the written reflection (50%) and (2) originality of the concept and creativity of execution of the work samples (50%). Entries selected in round one will proceed to round two. In round two, The Daring editors will use the Judging Criteria to select the top ten (10) entries from among the twenty (20) entries selected from round one. The winners will be chosen by June 30, 2022, and will be notified by email to schedule a personalized interview.
Decisions of the Judges are final and binding. If the Judges do not come to agreed winners, The Daring is not obligated to select winners, in which case, it will be announced to the public that for this “Open Call”, no winners were selected.RELEASES
If the photograph and video contain any material or elements that are not owned by the entrant and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the photograph and video, the entrant is responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph and video, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the photograph and video in the manner set forth in these Official Rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any photograph and video is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Upon Sponsor’s and/or The Daring’s request, each entrant must be prepared to provide (within seven (7) calendar days of receipt of Sponsor’s and/or The Daring’s request) a signed release from all persons who appear in the photograph and video submitted, authorizing Sponsor, The Daring, and their licensees (collectively, "Authorized Parties") to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, as provided in the license section herein. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification at any time during the Contest and selection of an alternate winner.
Similarly, upon Sponsor’s and/or The Daring’s request, each entrant must be prepared to provide (within seven (7) calendar days of receipt of Sponsor’s and/or The Daring’s request) a signed written license from the copyright owner of any sculpture, artwork, or other copyrighted material that appears in the photograph or video entry, authorizing any Authorized Party to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
Finally, upon Sponsor’s and/or The Daring’s request, each entrant must be prepared to provide (within seven (7) calendar days of receipt of Sponsor’s and/or The Daring’s request) a signed written license from the owner of any private property included in the photograph and video entry, authorizing any Authorized Party to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known. Failure to provide such releases upon request may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner.
For the purposes of these Official Rules, the entrant will be deemed to be in receipt of Sponsor’s and/or The Daring’s request or notification, (a) in the event that Sponsor and/or The Daring sends the request by postal mail, five business days after the request was sent by Sponsor and/or The Daring, or (b) in the event that Sponsor and/or The Daring send the request by email, on the day that the email was sent by Sponsor and/or The Daring.PRIZES
At least 10 entrants will be selected. The selected entrants will receive an invitation from The Daring to participate in an interview and reflect on topics tailored to their creative practice. The Daring will publish the conversation and open call submission in Spotlight, a Q&A series on The Daring delivering the voices of storytellers in visual media. Each final entrant will be spotlighted on The Daring home page for a month. The potential winners shall be required to:
1. Sign and return within ten (10) days following an attempted notification, an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability Release, Warranty of Ownership and License, and Publicity Release in which the entrant warrants that he or she is the owner of all photographs and videos (and all the intellectual property rights in the photographs and videos submitted) and writing in the entry and grants to Authorized Parties the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive license to reproduce, distribute, display, and create derivative works of the entry (along with a name credit) in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, without additional compensation.
2. Supply The Daring with digital photograph files that are at least 1600 pixels wide (if a horizontal image) or 1600 pixels tall (if a vertical image) for each photograph that The Daring publishes. Supply The Daring with links to YouTube or Vimeo videos that The Daring publishes. (total of 3 work samples)
3. Sign The Daring’s service agreement, if applicable.
Failure to execute and deliver any required documents to Authorized Parties by the specified deadline may result in disqualification from the Contest and selection of an alternate potential winner.NONCOMPLIANCE OR RETURN OF PRIZE NOTIFICATION AS UNDELIVERABLE, WHETHER BY REGULAR MAIL OR BY EMAIL, MAY RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION AND SELECTION OF AN ALTERNATE POTENTIAL WINNER.
If the winner’s writing is published on The Daring, then, the winner will be considered a “guest contributor” for purposes of this post and will be required to have a profile on The Daring. No prize transfer, assignment, or substitution by winner permitted. If a prize (or part of a prize) is unavailable, Sponsor and/or The Daring, in their discretion, reserve the right to substitute the original prize (or that part of the prize) with an alternative prize to the equal specification, unless to do so would be prohibited by law.LICENSE
By entering the Contest, all entrants selected agree to grant an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive license to:
1. The Daring to spotlight the winner's interview and work samples on The Daring website and social channels
2. Visura to spotlight the winner's interview and work samples on its website
3. The Authorized Parties to reproduce, distribute, and display the entries (along with a name credit) only in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, for no additional compensation (collectively, the “License”).
Except as above, the entrant retains all other rights, including copyright. All rights not expressly granted by the entrant reside exclusively with the entrant. If the Authorized Parties wish to license additional rights, a separate agreement would be drafted and signed by the entrant and the Authorized Parties.
Entrants consent to The Daring Media & FotoVisura Inc doing or omitting to do any act that would otherwise infringe the entrant’s “moral rights” in their entries.
Display or publication of any entry on an Authorized Party’s website does not indicate the entrant will be selected as a winner. Except as otherwise provided herein, Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use as authorized by the License. Additionally, by entering, each entrant grants to Authorized Parties the unrestricted right to use all statements made in connection with the Contest, and pictures or likenesses of Contest entrants, or choose not to do so, at their sole discretion, except where prohibited by law. The Daring Media reserves the right to edit any writing chosen to be published on The Daring.
for Visura's general contest Terms & Condititions)