Outside the prisoners' camp was a large plant nursery. The herb garden was part of the Dachau concentration camp. Concentration camp prisoners worked here as labor slaves. The use of herbal agents was researched on the grounds and served to supply the Eastern Front with vitamin C and plant active ingredients and was thus a building block for the planned war of aggression.
As part of the Dachau concentration camp, two kilometres north of the Dachau concentration camp, the Hebertshausen shooting range was built in 1937/38. In 1941 and 1942, the SS murdered more than 4000 Soviet prisoners of war here. It has been a memorial for Nazi victims since 1960.