Douglas Despres

Photographer
   
Tobaccoland
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Nationality: American
Biography: Douglas Despres is an documentary and portrait photographer (b. 1981), based out of San Francisco Bay. His stories primarily focus on social and human rights issues in the United States. Editorially, he works with non profits & NGO's,... read on
Public Story
Tobaccoland
Copyright douglas despres 2021
Updated 06/01/21

TOBACCOLAND


Harvest season life in Pinar del Rio - Cuba's Westernmost province.

In Tobaccoland, where fine leaves are guided into slow curls of smoke, we witness an old romance between human hands and the soil of the earth.

In Cigar Journal, a respected tobacco industry publication, it's said a cigar touches two hundred hands before it is lit. The arc is long, through early Spring during the planting of seeds, through the cultivation until late Winter, when the leaves are handpicked, brought into the drying houses, hand threaded together to a long wooden beam, then hung up in the rafters to dry for three months. The tobacco is then packed and readied for the government, who dictates all the transaction numbers, as it's standard for them to take 90% of the entire crop. The remaining 10% can used however the farmers like, primarily being sold to tourists. After leaving the farm, many other steps take place before the tobacco is for sale in shops worldwide.

Focus often falls on the cigars, though the real heart is the farming community itself. These moments celebrate that lifestyle.
1,734

Also by Douglas Despres —

VISUAL STORY

Katherine In Covid

By Douglas Despres / Alameda, CA — KATHERINE IN COVID. In the chaotic imagery of the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic, there are stories of the..
VISUAL STORY

Standing Rock

By Douglas Despres / Cannonball, South Dakota — STANDING ROCK. If you sit with the wind and words of Standing Rock, you feel it. A gentle hum through the..
VISUAL STORY

Artists + Activists

By Douglas Despres
VISUAL STORY

Branding + Headshots

By Douglas Despres
VISUAL STORY

Couples + Families

By Douglas Despres
VISUAL STORY

The Vagina Monologues

By Douglas Despres / Alameda, CA — THE VAGINA MONOLOGUES - ALAMEDA Portraits for the marketing campaign for The Vagina Monologues Alameda..
VISUAL STORY

Music + Dance + Theatre

By Douglas Despres — Limelight - a mix of musicians and performance artists onstage doing what they do best. Includes both..
VISUAL STORY

Compassion and Choices

By Douglas Despres / Oakland — COMPASSION & CHOICES Compassion & Choices is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit headquartered out of Portland,..
Join us
For more access