FOLLOW THE DARING VIA VISURA
THEMEWe’re particularly interested in storytellers making visual content that reflects their communities or topics they have deep personal experience with.
PRIZEAt least 10 entrants will be selected. The selected entrants will receive an invitation from The Daring to participate in an interview and reflect on topics tailored to their creative practice. The Daring will publish the conversation in Spotlight — a Q&A series on The Daring delivering the voices of storytellers in visual media. Each selected entrant will be spotlighted on The Daring home page for a month.
DEADLINEThe open call begins October 1, 2021 at 8:00:00 a.m. US Eastern Daylight Time (“EDT”) and ends on September 30, 2022 at 11:59:00 p.m. EDT.
• Sign up for a Visura Basic/Free, Standard, Plus, Prime, or Guild membership account to submit for consideration.
• All submissions are made via a “Story” created from your Visura dashboard.
• Set Story to 'private' within the Visura system.
• Each submission must include a candidate bio and portrait, a written reflection as the project text, and 3 work samples made up of photographs and/or videos created in the past 2 years.
• One entry allowed per person.
• There is no entry fee during the application process.
• No purchase necessary. A purchase will not increase your chances of earning an invitation for publication.
• We’ll be reaching out to the storytellers we’re interested in collaborating with to coordinate.
• Professional photographers, filmmakers, illustrators, animators, and graphic designers worldwide
• Identify as women or non-binary.
• Freelancers and those affiliated with brands and media organizations.
• One visual project in the past year that took more than 2 months to complete.
• Full working website.
• We’re particularly interested in storytellers making visual content that reflects their own communities or topics they have deep personal experience with.
For the bio and portrait
• One (1) portrait. Photograph size: 1600px on the longest dimension, 72dpi, jpeg format.
• A short professional bio written in the third person.
For the written reflection
800-1200 words in the first person, in English, answering 8 prompts in Q&A format.
Note: the prompts will rotate on a monthly basis
For work samples
• Should be already published work or work that can be spotlighted indefinitely without interfering with future opportunities for the candidate.
• Three (3) photographs and/or videos that best represent the scope and style of the candidate’s work made within the past two years.
• Videos not in English must contain English subtitles.
• Photograph size: 1600px on the longest dimension, 72dpi, jpeg format.
• No watermarks.
• Each photograph and video must be accompanied by a caption describing the date, place, and content.
For questions or inquiries, contact The Daring: firstname.lastname@example.org
Read full Terms and Conditions
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF BEING SELECTED.
Spotlight: Open Call for Women and Non-binary Visual Storytellers
Spotlight is a regular Q&A series delivering the voices of storytellers in visual media. Every month, The Daring spotlights a different visual storyteller through an in-depth conversation about their creative process and most moving work. This...