based in New York City
Foley Gallery portfolio on Visura - a professional network to connect with photo editors and art buyers, and build photography portfolio websites. Visura members, like Foley, share photojournalism, art photography, landscape, travel photography, portraits and more. Foley has 0 projects, 13 community news posts, and 0 images shared in the photo stream.
Foley Gallery brings together fine line and obsessive precision in the disciplines of drawing, cut paper, painting, and photography. Michael Foley opened Foley Gallery in the fall of 2004...
Mirror, Mirror (Call For Entry)
Wednesday, October 4, 2017
(image: Elinor Carruci "The Woman that I still am", 2012)
Mirrors and Beauty go hand in hand. Originally an incantation in the Brothers Grimm 19th-century story Little Snow White and expanded upon in Disney’s version more
than 100 years later, “Mirror, mirror” has us questioning what beauty is and how it can be measured.
Mirrors are reflective surfaces, typically constructed of glass coated with a metal amalgam that reflects a clear image. You can take our theme literally and look to the properties of a mirror or reflective surface, or you can look at a mirror as metaphor for beauty. You artwork need not have a depiction of an actual mirror in it to be considered.
Mirror, Mirror will be juried by Elinor Carruci, and will coincide with Sage Sohier’s solo exhibition Witness to Beauty.
Elinor Carruci is an Israeli-American photographer who has had solo exhibitions at Edwynn Houk Gallery, Fifty One Fine Art Gallery, James Hyman and Gagosian Gallery, London. Carruci’s photographs are included in the collections of The Museum of Modern Art New York, the Brooklyn Museum of Art, and the Houston Museum of Fine Art, among others. She has published three monographs to date, Closer, Chronicle Books 2002, Diary of a dancer, SteidlMack 2005 and Mother, Prestel Publishing, portraying nearly a decade of her motherhood project.
She was awarded the International Center of Photography Infinity Award for Young Photographer in 2001, The Guggenheim Fellowship in 2002 and NYFA in 2010.
All exhibited pieces must be for sale. 40% of the sale, as a commission, will be granted to Foley Gallery with the artist receiving the remaining 60%. Shipping expenses to and from the gallery are responsibility of the artist. Foley Gallery is not responsible for damages during shipping. Additional information regarding shipment and drop-off dates will be provided to exhibiting artists. All artwork needs to be framed and/or ready to hang.