BIRTH IS A DREAM - Maternity in Africa
A multi-media video documenting an untold matter.
BIRTH IS A DREAM has been shot across DRC, Malawi and Uganda, in 2011 and 2012.
Every year in Sub-Saharan Africa 200.000 mothers die from complications of pregnancy and childbirth.Â A mother's death is a human tragedy, affecting families and communities. Her death endangers the lives of a surviving newborn and any other young children; a mother's death makes it harder for the family to obtain life's necessities and escape the crush of poverty. A great many of these deaths are preventable, when women have access to quality prevention, diagnostic, and treatment services.
"Birth is a dream - Maternity in Africa" aims to document and raise awareness about the maternity crisis in Sub-Saharan Africa.
photography & videoâ€œForewarning: this video contains some graphic images that some viewers may find disturbingâ€
editing & postproduction
- 2017 - Womenâ€™s Voices Now Online Film Festival: Official selection - "Birth is a Dream - Maternity in Africa"
- 2014, SDN Narrative Documentary Still & in Motion 2014: first place
- 2014, American Online Film Awards. Spring Showcase Official Selection
- 2013, SIMA (Social Impact Media Awards). Nominee for BEST DOCUMENTARY in Documentary Short Category
- 2013, Humanitarian Reporting Competition (Global Citizen & DAWNS). Top12 finalist