This award honors excellence in still photojournalism storytelling of news, sports, portraiture and features that present as an individual photo or a visual story with multiple photos. It is open to all AAJA student members in good standing at the time of submission.Submission Deadline: February 28, 2023, 11:59 p.m. ET. Timeline: Photo(s) must have been either created or initially published between January 1st and December 31st of 2022.Photo Awards Eligibility:
Entrants may contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.Special Thanks
- Entrants may enter up to 5 entries, either single photos and/or photo stories. Each Single Photo is counted as 1 entry. Each Photo Story should contain 5 – 12 images and is considered as 1 entry. Individual photo(s) from a Photo Story may not be used in another Photo Story. Photos must have been either created or initially published between January 1st and December 31st of 2021. All photographs must comply with the National Press Photographers Association Code of Ethics. https://nppa.org/code-ethics
- Photo(s) must not be altered by adding, rearranging, reversing, distorting or removing element(s) from within the frame. Removal of dust or scratches is acceptable.
- Reasonable adjustments in Photoshop are acceptable. These include cropping, dodging and burning, conversion into grayscale, and normal toning and color adjustments that restore the authentic nature of the photograph. Filters and excessive changes in density, contrast, color and saturation levels that alter the original scene are not acceptable.
- Photographs made with non-professional digital cameras, like the iPhone or point-and-shoot cameras, are allowed but still must adhere to the same non-alter guidelines stated above (they cannot be digitally altered or manipulated images, i.e., taken with filters or other creative apps)
- Photo(s) may not include any frames or visible watermarks.
- Photo(s) that do not meet these requirements will be disqualified.
- Photographers may be asked to provide the original un-retouched file and related files. Failure to provide these may result in removal from the judging process.
- The Judges’ decisions are final.
- It must fall in the listed respective categories for the Journalism Excellence Awards.
- Photo(s) do not have to have been previously published.
- Only students may apply for the Student Journalism category.
- Entries can only be submitted to one award category.
- There is no entry fee. Please consider donating to AAJA if you would like to support AAJA awards.
Judging of AAJA's Excellence in Photojournalism categories proudly sponsored and powered by Visura, a platform empowering the visual community.