Terms & Conditions
We would like to be upfront about a contributor's rights in the event that they are published at The Daring. Here is the relevant portion of the contract:
- • Upon publication, contributors will be paid a $30 fee.
- • Authors retain copyright.
- • We acquire first serial rights worldwide in English and non-exclusive anthology rights.
- • Each piece will be published in our online magazine and will become part of The Daring archives.
- • We accept simultaneous submissions. Please withdraw your submission or notify us if your work is accepted elsewhere so we can wish you a warm congratulations and remove your work from our queue.
- • We’ll do our utmost to respond within three months, but due to the volume of submissions we receive, and the careful and collaborative nature of our review process, that may not always be possible. Thank you for your patience.
The Contributor agrees not to publish or permit others to publish the Work in any form prior to its publication on The Daring website or for a period of one (1) month after the publication on The Daring website without the prior written permission of the Publisher. If the Work is selected for a “best of the year” anthology, the Publisher agrees to waive this clause, provided the Contributor gives the Publisher prior written notice of the selection. The Contributor further grants the Publisher the following rights for the Work:
- • for the website, thedaring.co, as a part of The Daring archives
- • exclusive worldwide audio rights solely for use in The Daring's podcasting program and the dedicated web page for the Work, for one (1) month after the Work is published.
The Contributor grants the Publisher the non-exclusive right to use and re-use the Contributor’s name, image, biography, and excerpts of the Work in advertising and promotion of all Publisher’s publications in online media. Upon request, the Contributor shall provide the Publisher with a Contributor portrait and a short bio written in the third person for such use. Except as above, Contributor retains all other rights, including copyright.
All rights not expressly granted by the Contributor reside exclusively with the Contributor, including, but not limited to, multimedia art, film, TV, and dramatic adaptations.
The Contributor represents and warrants that:
- • they have full power to make this grant of rights
- • the Work is the Contributor’s original work
- • the Work is accurate and factually correct
- • the Work contains no matter which infringes copyright, trademark, or other rights, is defamatory or otherwise unlawful, invades the right of privacy or publicity, or which infringes any other proprietary right of any third parties
- • the Work has not been previously published in English by the Contributor or any third parties, except in such cases as are previously agreed to in writing by Publisher and Contributor
- • if the consent and permission of any third parties are required to use the Work described above, including persons depicted in the Work, Contributor has obtained such consent and permission in writing and will submit copies to Publisher on delivery of the Work.