I am an award-winning professional picture editor who has helped photographers tell their stories and elevate their work, whether it was still images or video.
Every photo project, every portfolio, and every collection of photos must have a beginning, middle, and end to tell a story effectively, and I can guide you along this journey.
With over 14 years picture editing experience, most recently at the Los Angeles Times, I mentored and supported photographers from beginning to end, guiding them as their projects took shape and helping them make their final edit.
Photographers with whom I have worked with have been Pulitzer Prize finalists, RFK winners, and POYi winners.
I will encourage and nurture your personal vision, and I will bring passion to every job I work on.
After working as a photojournalist for ten years, I realized that I had rarely worked with an editor who made me better, who guided me, who saw my vision. What the newspaper industry really needed, I believed, was more photo editors who knew what it was like to be out in the field, who knew the struggles of telling the best story, who knew how to get the best photos out of photographers but still had an objective eye. That is when I knew I should be a photo editor.
If you are a photographer, I can help you craft your portfolio or your latest project, or if you are starting out as a photographer, starting out in the photo world, I can help guide you and give you direction where to go. Sometimes, being a photographer can be overwhelming, but I can help you focus your efforts.
While being a freelance photo editor, my scope has expanded to include commercial, fashion, architecture, and art photography, and what I’m finding is very simple – A good picture is a good picture.
If you are a business owner who needs photos for a brochure or a website, I can either help you find a photographer or find stock images that will compliment your business. I have experience handling thousand of images daily, I am proficient at image acquisition, having worked with staff photographers, freelancers, stock agencies, and photo desks around the world to find editorial and creative images on deadline.
What I can do for you:
• I can create or refine your portfolio, whether for a job, website, contest, or grant.
• A simple edit of images, from thousands down to one hundred, creates a storyline or simply a great photo essay.
• Review your current project and show you how to round it out, demonstrating what’s needed and what’s missing, giving you direction to elevate your photography.
• I can review a video and tell you what needs to be cut or whether it needs to be restructured. I can also help you craft the narrative and/or storyboard video for you.
• I can hold you accountable for your work and give you a needed push, keeping you focused on your goals. I can be a taskmaster, help you coordinate your ideas, mentor you, encourage you, and listen to you. I can make you better.
• I can listen to a story pitch and let you know whether it’s a good idea or what you need to include, helping you develop your ideas or helping develop a new one.
• I can read interview questions prior to an interview to make sure that you get the right answers. Special Note: This bullet point is specific to documentary videographers. There is a science involved in interviewing subjects. If you do not do it properly, you can waste a ton of time and money.
• I can tell you if you are too close to your work and need a new perspective.
• If you are new to photography, I can teach you the art of lighting and composition.
• With expanding technology, I can help you think outside the box for Web presentations; it’s not just photos anymore.
• We can establish an ongoing connection, so whenever you need me I will be available.